- Metformin Clinical Trial - A 3-center Phase 2b clinical trial of metformin, a generic diabetes drug, as an adjunct therapy for tuberculosis. Open IP, open data (once ready), and open protocol being published in open access academic journal. In partnership with the Government of India’s National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT). CTRI site | More about the trial | Join the OSP Metformin-TB Facebook page
- India Health Fund Open Source Clinical Trial - Repurposing already-approved “off patent generic drugs” in order to rapidly and cost-effectively create new treatments and regimens against neglected infectious diseases, using open methodology conforming to standard regulatory endpoints. Future project. Funded by the India Health Fund.
Early Stage Drug Discovery
- Nipah Virus Response - Conducting open source research to find possible cures for the fatal infection - for which there is currently no available treatment or vaccine. Learn more
- In Silico Research - Peer-reviewed research papers have been published by members of the OSPF Bangalore scientific team and affiliated open researchers. View publications
- TB, Chikungunya, and Nipah Virus Knowledge Graph - Building an open, living, AI-powered, automatically updated knowledge base and knowledge graph focused on the specific content needed to enable drug discovery and development for TB, Chikungunya, and Nipah Virus. US operations funded by Wellcome Trust, UK. TB Knowledge Graph in partnership with Mayo Clinic Center for Tuberculosis.
- Generics Repurposing Database Project - Enabling low cost generic drugs to be used for other diseases on an affordable basis.
- Ayurvedic Research - Accumulating and analyzing traditional health care systems with modern tools.
- Crowdsource Program for Neglected Disease Research - An evolving project and discussion space for post graduates, researchers, and professional students who are passionate about solving problems in the health sector, particularly with a focus on neglected diseases
Education and Awareness
- TB Digital Quilt - A collection of videos and images, typically video selfies displayed in the form of a quilt, contributed by people across the world sharing their thoughts and experiences concerning tuberculosis to raise awareness about TB and bring together community in support of those affected by the disease. Website coming soon
- Women Scientists Program - A series of workshops connecting women scientists through virtual labs and whittling down potential molecules that could eventually be turned into drugs to fight diseases, such as tuberculosis. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-42188808
- Lectures, Meetings, Workshops
- World TB Day 2018 at NIAS (March 24, 2018) - An event organized by OSPF students gathering over 40 interns, researchers, scientists, and thought leaders that included activities, workshops, as well as presentations
- Public Lecture at NIAS by Adrian Bradley (UK and European Patent Attorney, Cleveland Scott York) - “Intellectual Property as a Mechanism for Translating Research into Societal Benefits”
- Public Lecture at NIAS by Jaykumar Menon (Co-founder, Open Source Pharma Foundation - January 12, 2018) - "Open Source Model for Affordable Health Care and Wellbeing". View poster
- Access to Research Workshop (August 11, 2018) - A workshop to train clinical practitioners from various disciplines and help them gain access to research to identify problems, contribute their scientific knowledge, and support the drug discovery ecosystem
- Global Conferences
- The 3rd Open Source Pharma Conference (OSP3), http://www.opensourcepharma.net/paris-2019.html, held in Paris in March 2019, at CRI Research, was a gathering of researchers, entrepreneurs, industry professionals, funders and NGOs who aim to achieve radical improvements in the way therapeutics are delivered to market in the 21st century. This meeting followed the 1st OSP conference, which took place at the Bellagio Center, Lake Como, Italy in 2014, and the second, which took place at Castle Rauischholzhausen, Marburg, Germany in 2015. http://www.opensourcepharma.net/past-conferences.html
World TB Day 2018, NIAS, Bangalore